Re: Makefile.in respect $(DESTDIR) - Patch applied

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 06:17:22PM +0100, Sjors Gielen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed winsup does not respect $(DESTDIR) in its installation process.
> The applied patch modifies the Makefile.in files, to have them use
> $(DESTDIR) in all install lines. This includes:
>    * install(1)   (also MKDIRP)
>    * the mkinstalldirs / $(mkinstalldirs) commands
>    * a ln -sf line
> I may have forgotten some, however the following commands show the patch
> works:
>
>    build$ ../src/configure --prefix=/tmp/wrongplace
>    build$ make
>    build$ make install DESTDIR=/tmp/rightplace
>
> This correctly installs all files to /tmp/rightplace/tmp/wrongplace,
> /tmp/wrongplace is never created. newlib already respects DESTDIR in its
> makefiles (it does use automake). This patch applies cleanly to the current
> CVS revision.
>
> After applying this patch, the commands in FAQ section 6.18 "How do I build
> Cygwin on my own" can be changed to:
>
>   mkdir build install;
>   cd build;
>   (../src/configure --prefix= -v; make) >& make.out
>   make install DESTDIR=../install > install.log 2>&1
>
> After these commands, all files are in ../install and configured to be
> installed in / (prefix is empty, i.e. / without the last slash). In my
> opinion, this is a cleaner way to compile Cygwin than giving
> --prefix=../install to configure.

Thanks for the patch.  I've had something half-finished sitting in my sandbox
for a while now but since you beat me to it, I'll install your version.

I'm not going to change the mingw/w32api stuff though.  That belongs to
another project.  You might want to visit http://mingw.org/ and find a
forum which is appropriate to ask them if your changes are ok.

(Unless one of them is reading this and can speak definitively of course)

cgf