Re: Heads Up - Misplaced files in wrong directory

Paul McFerrin wrote:
> Within the past 48 hours, I completely loaded a fresh node for cygwin
> 1.7.  When I finished, I noticed the following files in directory
> /etc/postinstall:
>
> -rw-rw-rw- 1 paul None   69347 Jun  4  2005
> gcc-mingw-core-3.4.4-20050522-1.tgz
> -rw-rw-rw- 1 paul None 1964271 Jun  4  2005
> gcc-mingw-g++-3.4.4-20050522-1.tgz
>
> To my knowledge, I did not download anything with "mingw" in its name.

  You get the mingw compiler automatically along with the main compiler, it's
part of the "-mno-cygwin" support.

> In any case, I think it was a package effort going hay-wired!

  No, this is a quirk but it's how those packages are supposed to work.
Unusually, they have postinstall tarballs, and postinstall scripts that unpack
and install them; take a look at e.g. /etc/postinstall/gcc-mingw-core.sh.done
if you want to see how it works.

  Since the whole thing's being obsoleted and replaced in any case, I've not
troubled to rewrite the whole process.  It just works.

    cheers,
      DaveK