Turning off execute permission

I've been reading:
http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-files
on the execute permissions. Did I read that it was impossible to deny execute permissions?? In my tests, the follow is always "true" if a file has no execute permissions: (mode 666 or 000)
[ -x apachectl ]
test -x apachectl
for all of the shells

Did I uncover a bug somewhere or is this a "feature"?? I guess my alternative would to use the "read" permission bit and just rename the file to effective disable it. If there is no real execute bit because of Windows ACLs, then that statement should be explicitly stated if its in order. If that is the reason you'll trying to say in section titled " The POSIX permission mapping leak", can/should it be a little more explicit?