Upgrade woes ("file in use")

During a recent upgrade of about a dozen packages, I saw
the  Cygwin setup window progress normally ("deleting
package xyz..."), and then up popped a window that said:

"In-use files detected"

"Unable to extract /etc/postinstall/bash.sh -- the file is
in use. Please stop all Cygwin processes and select
'Retry,' or select 'Continue' to go on anyway (you will
need to reboot)."

I didn't have any Cygwin processes running, so I hit
"Retry," and got:

"Still unable to extract /etc/postinstall/bash.sh -- the
file is in use. Please stop ALL Cygwin processes and
select 'Retry,' or select 'Continue' to go on anyway (you
will need to reboot)."

So I selected "Continue," and the title bar of the Cygwin
setup window started flashing, but nothing else happened
(I remained stuck at three percent).

So I rebooted the machine (definitely no Cygwin processes
running now), and the same thing happened.

Now, I no longer have bash (as well as many other cygwin
programs). Nothing looks unusual on the machine to me.

Can someone tell me what happened (and just as important,
how to repair the Cygwin installation)?

Thank you.

Nuzhna