Re: IOCTL using <ddk/ntddser.h>

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Mar 11 22:57, Bert wrote:
> > When compiled on Cygwin's gcc the code below (which asks the baud rate of a
> > serial port) shows the error "Funtion Not Implemented".
> >
> > I tried several serial port ioctl functions in <ddk/ntddser.h> - all gave the
> > same error.
> >

> > I hope I'm doing something really dumb, any tips?
>
> Yes.  You're mixing POSIX calls with Windows defines.  That's a no-no.
> When you're in Rome, talk like the Romans do.
>
> Corinna

Many thanks Corinna. If I understand you correctly, "talk like the Romans" means
"just make everything pure POSIX calls", right?

Secondly, if that's the case, what would the purpose of the Windows defines be?
(Apart from confusing simple folks like me :)  Put another way, if I want to use
those defines (i.e. flee Rome and settle in Babylon), what version of ioctl
should I call and what libs should I link in?

Thirdly, and I'm probably pushing it now, if you have some favorite references
to read on the above dichotomy? I'd appreciate the pointer. Or is it *pointer?

Bert