Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.5] Updated: {gettext/gettext-devel/libgettextpo0/libintl8/libasprintf0}-0.17-3

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>> I've been testing this patch[1] for some time within Ports, and it has
>> solved a lot of the problems I was having with libtool-2.2.  Could you
>> please consider this for inclusion in your gettext package?
>
>> [1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-10/msg00346.html

Well, I'm not too thrilled about automatically upgrading every package
that uses gettext to the latest version -- even those that aren't being
built *for cygwin* itself.  Basically, with your patch, if you do an
autoreconf on the cygwin platform, then you're going to bump to
gettext-0.17 no matter what you've listed in your configure.ac.

That's fine -- probably -- for cygport'ed packages being built *for*
cygwin.  Not so fine for packages that are merely being developed ON
cygwin as the development host (I've been told that there are folks who
do that).

However, there is a /real/ bug in older gettexts that you've encountered
and are trying to work around.  And, it's best if that workaround were
somewhat automated (e.g. otherwise you'd just say "edit configure.ac and
change the value of AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION").

What we need is an "out of band" method of communicating to autopoint --
even when it is invoked indirectly by autoreconf -- that you do, or do
not, want to respect the value of AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION in configure.ac.

Seems to me the right way to do that is an environment variable. If
autopoint was sensitive to, say:

AUTOPOINT_FORCE_GETTEXT_VERSION

then you could ensure that cygport (always?) sets that variable to
(e.g.) 0.17 (or maybe a magic value "CURRENT_INSTALLED" or something).

Does that seem like a reasonable approach to you?

--
Chuck