Re: All clear [was Re: [1.7]: For the love of god, don't update!]

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 03:21:26PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>So, that's why only some applications manifest this problem; it's only
>the ones that explicitly pass -lc in their LDFLAGS.

So, given how limited the problem is, I don't think the alarmist Subject
was really called for.  Anyone reading the subject would think that
there was something seriously wrong with Cygwin 1.7 and that is not the
case.

>...Both exes have an IAT from kernel32 importing GetACP and Get
>ModuleHandleA, and two single-entry IATs referencing _impure_ptr
>(auto-import entries, pointing into the .text section) right at the end
>of their .idata sections.  Where they differ is at the start of .idata;
>the working exe has a single import table with 111 imports from
>cygwin1.dll, where the failing exe has two import tables from
>cygwin1.dll with 101 and 10 entries respectively.

I mentioned that things still work this way (as they have for the last
eight years) when I announced the speclib rewrite and you said:

"Yes, multiple import tables for the same DLL Name are definitely OK; if MS
ever do anything to change this, we'll have real problems with auto-import."

Did you miss adding an "as expected" in the above paragraph?

cgf