From: William Sutton [mailto:william@trilug.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 2:29 PM
To: James Calfee
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com; InformationTechnology
Subject: Re: DOS programs under "screen"

I suppose you could always use the 'clear' command instead of cls.  If
you
need cls specifically, you can alias it to clear.

From the edit point of view, is this something you could accomplish with

another command-line editor (say vim)?

William Sutton

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, James Calfee wrote:

> We need to run a DOS program as a service.  The program provides
> valuable information in the DOS window in an interactive ASCII color
> interface but does not provide any method to connect to this interface
> if started as a service.
>
> One solution is to run this program under screen.  Unfortunately, this
> will not work until I can get these things resolved:
>
> * DOS "cls" command does not work under screen
> * DOS "edit" program does not work under screen
>
> Does anyone know how to get these things working under Cygwin's
screen?

> Steps to produce:
>
> Open a DOS window (start, run, cmd) or open Cygwin
> Run something like this> c:\cygwin\bin\screen cmd
> Or just> screen cmd
> ... Dos text and a prompt should come up ..
> Type> cls
>
> The command is echoed back but the console does not clear.
>
> Running 'edit' does basically the same thing too.  Instead of seeing
> edit's blue interface, the command is echoed and the console hangs.
> Pressing Ctrl+C will terminate screen's session.
>
> These test do not use ANSI.sys (see absence of this device in
> /cygdrive/c/CONFIG.SYS).. The 'edit' program works just fine without
it.
> Maybe screen can manage without it too.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> jc

Disclaimer: This message (including attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. RxStrategies, Inc. shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. RxStrategies, Inc. does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free from viruses, interceptions or interference.