Re: duplicate *.exe commands

Atom Smasher wrote:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

There are no duplicate *.exe commands. All Cygwin executables contain the exe extension as Windows prefers. Cygwin tries to make things easier by mapping "cat" to "cat.exe", for example, which is why it may look to you like there are both in the Cygwin environment. But look at 'c:\cygwin\bin' in the Explorer and you'll see all the commands have the .exe extension. If you get rid of one, you get rid of the other since they are the same. Now, to anticipate your next question, '/usr/bin/cat.exe' and '/bin/cat.exe' are not duplicates either. See the results of typing 'mount'.

i'm not talking about deleting any files, just deleting duplicate *.exe commands from my command hash, so they don't auto-complete when i press <TAB>. the *.exe commands would be there (and be available if called), i just wouldn't have to look at them when i tab-complete.

ls -ilh `which cat cat.exe`

that tells me that the two commands are hard-linked; they share the same inode. it seems the same way for all of the commands that appear in my PATH with and without a ".exe" suffix.

so the question remains: is it "safe" to delete all *.exe files from my command hash? or should i first check for the same command, in the same place, without the ".exe" suffix?

There are no Cygwin commands that don't have the ".exe" suffix so I don't see why you can't delete them from your hash if you want. Never done it myself so I don't know if it will really accomplish your intended goal or not though.

Holliston, MA 01746