new user with an installation question

hello all,

this is my first attempt to get out of the user world.  I am trying to
install an open source GIS program called GRASS which requires Cygwin and i
cannot figure out how to start from the command line as setup.exe -X

really bad, i know, im sorry
(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2008-08/msg00001.html if you cant
figure out what im talking about)

any tutorials you might be able to forward my way that could help me
navigate programming would be very helpful.  Im ridiculously blind right now
but i want to make an effort to learn