Re: How to update cygwin and installed packages?

Jeff Gold wrote:
Is there a way to install and update cygwin packages from the command
line?  Something resembling yum on Fedora and apt on Debian and Ubuntu
would be extremely helpful, particularly for setting up a new system.
Manually picking through a list of packages is tedious and error
prone, while a command line with a list of packages can be reliably
pasted from a web page.

I've been trying to find the answer in web searches and the mailing
list archives.  The closest I've come is a brief exchange between
Pawan Taparia and Larry Hall which concludes with a reference to
setup.exe, but as far as I can tell that tool only operates in a
graphical mode.  Giving it options like -h, --help or /h doesn't seem
to provide any documentation.  Have I missed something?  (I've adopted
the same subject in case that helps.)

See <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-03/msg00760.html>. You need to look at the 'setup.log' file for the output.

I expect you'll be looking for the '-P' option, though you'll have to make
the jump for Cygwin 1.7 to be able to use it (see cygwin.com for info on
getting this).  If you stick with 1.5, you can set up a dummy package in
setup.ini, list all the packages you want as dependencies, and make the
category "Base".  This will force the current versions of these files to
be installed without the need for any user selection.  Another alternative
is <http://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-server.html>.  It works on
a similar principle but gives you control over the package versions as
well.

Holliston, MA 01746