Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: rxvt-20050409-10

Phil Betts wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote:
>> o Restore Alt-Space behavior (e.g. pass thru to windows, to
>>   allow access to Minimize/Maximze/Restore menu). Reported
>>   by Davide Dente.
>
> You say "restore", but I've never seen this behaviour in rxvt.  Did it
> only make a transient appearance?

Every version of rxvt prior to 20050409-5, AFAICT. Granted, that was
released on 2007 Aug 20, so Alt-Space has been unixy for 1.5 years.  But
prior to that it was windowsy.

> Alt-Space is used in emacs for "just-one-space" which I use frequently.
> I can count on the fingers of zero hands the number of times I've ever
> wanted to summon the window menu using the keyboard from within rxvt.

Well, tbat settles it! Phil Betts has never needed to Win32-Alt-Space
from within rxvt, so obviously no-one else would, either!  End of
discussion.

Err...because Phil is more important than Davide, I guess?

> So, before I update and regret it, can this pandering to a Windows
> convention at the expense of *nix compatibility be disabled?  If not,
> I consider this to be a major regression, effectively rendering rxvt
> useless for me.

Given the attitude expressed in this message (which is quite different
in tone than Thomas Wolff's)...my sympathy for your opinion on what is
or is not a regression (nay, a "major" regression!) is fairly limited.

> Cygwin is fundamentally about facilitating doing things the *nix way
> in a hostile Windows environment, not about compromising *nix
> applications in order to make them more friendly for Windows users.

Fine. Then the next release of rxvt will require an X server, and will
not operate at all in native-only mode.  Then, I can enable xim input
and all of those other frills that libW11 doesn't support.  After all,
why compromise a *nix application in order to make it more friendly for
Windows users?

And -- you don't need to wait that long! Go ahead and switch now to
using rxvt in X11 mode and beat the rush! In that mode, rxvt won't honor
the Win32 Alt-Space behavior even now.

(I'm just kidding about removing the native functionality from rxvt. I'm
considering Thomas's request to make the behavior switchable -- because
it is obvious that some users desire each behavior and I'd like to
accommodate them, although Phil hasn't helped their case.  PTC would
make that happen sooner -- but I am not inclined to hurry on account of
Phil.)

--
Chuck