Post-Install Scripts: chmod 755 /var doesn't work

Hi:

I'm trying to make a unattended installation of cygwin including openssh server.

For some reason I have to excute the following 2 lines and I write
them into some /etc/postinstall/xxx.sh and compress it as .tar.bz2
file
chmod +r /etc/passwd
chmod +r /etc/group

But this didn't work.

Then I douted that maybe some other postinstall script set the file
system modes back.
So I add 3 test line in /etc/postinstall/xxx.sh and recompress it as
.tar.bz2 file
echo "1234" > /tmp/123.log
chmod 777 /tmp/123.log
% ls -l /tmp/123.log
-rwxr-xr--+ 1 Administrator Users 5 Apr 27 17:25 123.log

But this didn't work, too.
But while I execute Cygwin.bat and login in bash shell and run
chmod 777 /tmp/123.log
Then it works.
% ls -l /tmp/123.log
-rwxrwxrwx+ 1 Administrator Users 5 Apr 27 17:25 123.log

Anyone can help me with chmod +r so that it can be executed
successfully during postinstall stage?
Ant help is appreciated.