Re: Selling management on Cygwin

If you are looking for technical reason to make cygwin the default, then give it up. Of a person has spent years on a MS system, they will be reluctant to change. Contrary to a person using a *Unix system will be very glad to use tools that they know. You'll trying to force everyone to use one OS.

When I install cygwin on a new OS, I frequently swear & cuss because the MS tool set is extremely difficult compared to a *Unix system I have over 25 years experienced with *Unix.

I can't see any reason for making cygwin availablr to those that prefer to use it. With many years of using both, cygwin definitely take the cake. Those that choose cygwin, will quickly be more productive and learn how to cuss out MS!

Long live U N I X !

Andrew Schulman wrote:
No one here asked me whether it was safe to install open source software,
but if they had I was ready to explain that it's a well established and
stable product, I've been using it and contributing to it for many years,
and have never had a problem with it.

You might add that the applications distributed with Cygwin are used to help run millions of *nix servers around the world.