Re: file execute access with noacl mount with Cygwin-1.7.0 20090518 snapshot

Karl M wrote:
Karl M wrote:
Hi All...

I just tried executing a file on my desktop as
/c/Users/me/Desktop/file.exe in Vista Business SP1.

The file would not tab complete in bash and an ls -al showed no execute
access.

Do I need to add the exec or cygexec explicitly, or should that be the
default with noacl?
Thanks,

...Karl

I'm ok with adding it explicitly, and perhaps that is cleaner in the long
run with no hidden assumptions.

It is just that my file ended in .exe and the documentation says:

While normally the execute permission bits are used to evaluate
executability, this is not possible on filesystems which don't support
permissions at all (like FAT/FAT32), or if ACLs are ignored on filesystems
supporting them (see the aforementioned acl mount option). In these cases,
the following heuristic is used to evaluate if a file is executable: Files
ending in certain extensions (.exe, .com, .bat, .btm, .cmd) are assumed to
be executable.
So the current behavior is not what I expected.

Does 'file.exe' report itself as executable if you move it to somewhere that's not under '/c/Users/'? Is there a reason you don't want 'acl' (other than the fact that you're working under '/c/Users' on Vista)? While setting 'exec' or 'cygexec' may help in your situation, I'm not at all clear why you think it's 'cleaner'. Perhaps you could be more explicit. See <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> for guidelines on providing a complete problem report, which might help us all understand the heart of your question.

Holliston, MA 01746