Re: emacs -nw keypad, tpu-edt.el, and C-h

> Sorry, I guess I haven't been expressing myself very well. ÂI wasn't
> suggesting any particular course of action, and I certainly don't want to
> break other applications.

No worries. I was just trying to explain why the proper and obvious
fix of switching the backspace defaults to ^? might be problematic.

Having said that, I don't actually know of any applications that would
be affected by this. Any interactive terminal app that's meant to be
portable has to be able to deal with either backspace setting (usually
by reading the setting from the terminal using tcgetattr). I suspect
though that problem cases do exist, most likely among native Windows
console programs or custom apps developed for a particular Unix
flavour. And then there's the problem that the Cygwin console can't be
changed to ^?.

> This difference does *not* occur in the one linux system that I have access
> to (which happens to be Redhat linux). ÂIf I log into the console on that
> machine and start emacs (with no window system running), C-h is help and
> <backspace> is DEL.

http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html thinks that the Linux console
always sends ^? for backspace. Might be Redhat has different keycodes
for console and the likes of xterm then, or perhaps they did actually
switch to ^? as the default. Does anyone know?

> It would be nice if we could get emacs on cygwin to work the same way it
> does on other platforms. ÂIf it can't be done without breaking other things,
> so be it. ÂIn that case, as I said before, I'll try to change the splash
> screen to say that F1 is the help key (when emacs is started in a context
> where C-h doesn't function as the help key). ÂIt might actually be an emacs
> bug that this doesn't happen automatically

I think that would be a good and pragmatic solution to this.

Andy