Re: emacs -nw keypad, tpu-edt.el, and C-h

On 5/28/2009 5:41 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Ken Brown wrote:
On 5/28/2009 5:14 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
And then there's the problem that the Cygwin console can't be
changed to ^?.

Emacs doesn't work well in the Cygwin console anyway, for a variety of reasons. I'll add that to the README and to the announcement when I release the next version. (FWIW, I'd much rather have mintty be the default cygwin terminal; but that's a topic for a different time and place.)

Along that line, does it make a difference in all this if 'tty' is set in the CYGWIN environment variable? I'm not an emacs user but I seem to recall that this is a requirement to get emacs to behave as expected from the console. Is this just one more proof of that?

If you want to use emacs in the Cygwin console, you have to set tty in CYGWIN. Otherwise, emacs doesn't see control-c, which is heavily used. (The first time I tried emacs in the console, years ago, it was hard to figure out how to exit emacs. The key sequence for this is control-x control-c.) But even with CYGWIN=tty, other keys don't work as expected. So the best advice for emacs users at present is:

- For best results, use emacs under X.

- If you don't want to do that, use mintty or rxvt (but remember that F1 is the help key).

Ken