Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-49

On Jun 10 17:07, Dave Korn wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > What's new in contrast to 1.7.0-48
> > ===================================
> >
> > - When running Cygwin applications in the Windows console window, the
> >   Backspace key now returns ASCII DEL (^?, \177) instead of ASCII BS
> >   (^H, \008).  The Control-Backspace key now returns ESC-DEL (^[^?,
> >   \033\177) or \377, dependent on the meta mode set by the setmetamode
> >   utility, rather than DEL.  Control-Space now returns ASCII NUL.
> >   These changes should running emacs in a console window support better
> >   and improve compatibility with the Linux Console and xterm.
>
>   This has some unexpected results for me.  Starting up a shell (DOS console,
> notty) everything behaves as before.  After running "stty sane", the backspace
> key now starts printing ^? symbols instead of backspacing.  Did I miss an

That's interesting.  It only occurs when running bash as shell.
Tcsh just does business as usual after `stty sane'.

If you call `stty -a' after calling `stty sane', you see what
happened:

  $ stty -a
  speed 38400 baud; rows 25; columns 80; line = 0;
  intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
  [...]

stty has set erase to ^H.  Is that perhaps because terminfo still
specifies ^H as erase for the "cygwin" terminal type?

> > - Q: How do I know that I'm running Cygwin 1.7.0-49?
> >
> >   A: The `uname -v' command prints "2009-06-08 22:13"
>
>   Would "cygcheck -c cygwin" also be worth a mention?

And what would that tell us?

  Cygwin Package Information
  Package              Version        Status
  cygwin               1.7.0-49       OK

Hmm...

Corinna

Red Hat