RE: find(1) assertion for folder with a sub-folder named `x:'

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 19 17:55, Haojun Bao wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > Here's a test case to make find(1) assertion:
> >
> >     mkdir no-such-dir/foo/bar: -p
> >
> >     #this will not assert
> >     find no-such-dir/
> >
> >     mkdir no-such-dir/foo/c: -p
>
> I think the right answer here is "don't do that".  Don't create files
> or directories starting with a single character, followed by a colon.
> The problem is that a path starting with "X:" is treated as an
> absolute Win32 path.
>
> Right now you cannot have both.  Either a path starting with "X:" is
> treated as Win32 path, or Cygwin must stop handling Win32 paths at all
> and only allow POSIX paths.

Just to underline what Corinna said, consider the consequences of
the following:

mkdir -p foo/c:
cd foo
rm -rf c:/

In case you can't see why that's bad, DON'T TRY IT!!  Don't even copy
it, because you will accidentally paste it into a terminal window, you
will get to say "oopsy!" [1], and you will hurt your forehead on
your keyboard.

If you can't resist the temptation, do invite friends round to watch;
you'll have a humorous shared memory for later in life.  Also consider
videoing it, and getting a friend to post it on YouTube for you.

[1] See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/03/bofh_2008_episode_32/

Phil
--

This email has been scanned by Ascribe Ltd using Microsoft Antigen for Exchange.