Re: Failed Dependencies: /bin/sh needed by <rpm-name>

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:24:44AM -0700, Drew Holland wrote:
>I am encountering a strange error when I try and install rpm's on my
>system using Cgywin.  I have wrote my .spec file and build the rpm fine
>in Cygwin but when I try and install the rpm I just built I get the
>error:
>
>Failed Dependencies: /bin/sh needed by <rpm-name>.rpm

This shouldn't be surprising.  Cygwin doesn't generate an rpm database
since rpm is not the standard installation method so all dependencies
will be unmet.

Btw, the rpm binary in cygwin is currently distributed on an as-is
basis.  It's pretty old.  I plan on updating it at some point but I
can't make any predictions on when that will be.

So, it's up to you to populate the rpm database as you see fit.  You can
do that with the --justdb option if you have an actual rpm.  Building
the rpm for /bin/sh would be the challenge there.

cgf