Re: popup consoles on Windows 7

2009/7/2 Julio Costa <costaju@gmail.com>:

> HKCU\Console\<argv[0]>\WindowPosition = 0x80008000

Good idea!

> Why on Earth are we having this trouble to have an available console
> all the time? Is it necessary to redirect the in/out streams? Is it
> another thing?

>From earlier in the thread:

> me:
>> The proper, yet probably completely impractical solution: compile
>> Cygwin programs for the GUI subsystem instead of the console one and
>> attach to the parent process' console, if any, with explicit calls at
>> program startup. POSIX programs don't use the Win32 console API, so
>> there should be no need to always have a console available.

Corinna:
> The problem is rather that you want to be able to run certain native
> applications which refuse to run if no console is allocated.  Or they
> pop up a console on their own.

So be it, I'd be tempted to say, and point people that do insist on
running native console at /bin/run. But then I haven't been at the
sharp end of a barrage of compatibility complaints.

Actually, couldn't spawn_guts() tell whether it's about to execute a
console program, and only allocate a hidden console in that case?

Andy