Re: popup consoles on Windows 7

On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 12:14:31PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 11:02:12AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:44:23PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>I have some testing code which only tries to create an invisible console
>>>if the application to execv is not a Cygwin application.  It seems to
>>>work nicely.  I'm just not sure if it's really *that* simple...
>>
>>I actually had some plans (which I have talked about here from time to
>>time) for the invisible console for cygwin apps so I am not ready to
>>admit defeat for this method yet.
>
>I think I have a workaround for this which avoids the flashing console...

I've checked in a workaround for the problem:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2009-q3/msg00010.html

I checked this by removing the Windows 7 code from mintty and rebuilding
it.  With the currently released version of Cygwin 1.7.0-50 this causes
a windows console to be displayed on the screen along with the expected
mintty window.  With the 20090703 snapshot, which includes Corinna's
workaround, I got a flashing console.  With the code in CVS I got the
expected behavior of no console flash.

As I type this I realize that I didn't really confirm that the new
invisible console code has the desired effect in mintty.  It is supposed
to make some (native?) apps work better.  I thought that one of the apps
was the "net" command and I don't have any problems running it but does
anyone remember a specific program (maybe even a cygwin program?) which
required the existence of a console to work correctly?  If so, I'd like
to add it to the comments in the source code and verify that it still
works.

If you want to try a snapshot, make sure that you grab the new helper
app "cygwin-console-helper.exe" and put it in /bin.  Without this,
you'll still see the same flashes as the 20090703 snapshot.  The new
.exe file is in here:

http://cygwin.com/snapshots/cygwin-inst-20090704.tar.bz2

cgf