Running arm compiler on XP/Cygwin system

I am have a problem I think with path statements. I was able to install cygwin and recompile a complete set of arm tools using the new cygwin libs.
Now my makefiles run in a cygwin window but fail in Windows CMD line and Eclipse.

The make file below is very simple and works in a cygwin window. In a dos window the gcc command just returns after doing nothing. In Eclipse it returns error 1.
The first item, srt.s appear to correctly compile both in dos and cygwin yet fails somehow on the first gcc compile

'arm-elf-gcc -I./ -c -fno-common -O3 -g main.c'

To complicate things even more, in dos arm-elf-gcc can be found and executed returning 'no input files' so I know the path to the executable is working

Thanks for any help
JD

NAME = Demo

CC      = arm-elf-gcc
LD      = arm-elf-ld -v
AR      = arm-elf-ar
AS      = arm-elf-as
CP      = arm-elf-objcopy
OD        = arm-elf-objdump

CFLAGS  = -I./ -c -fno-common -O3 -g
AFLAGS  = -ahls -mapcs-32 -o crt.o
LFLAGS  =  -Map main.map -TDemo.cmd
CPFLAGS = -O ihex
ODFLAGS    = -x --syms

all: test

clean:
-rm crt.lst main.lst IntStubs.lst crt.o main.o IntStubs.o main.out main.hex main.map main.dmp

test: main.out
   @ echo "...copying"
   $(CP) $(CPFLAGS) main.out main.hex
   $(OD) $(ODFLAGS) main.out > main.dmp

main.out: crt.o main.o IntStubs.o Demo.cmd
   @ echo "..linking"
   $(LD) $(LFLAGS) -o main.out  crt.o main.o IntStubs.o

crt.o: crt.s
   @ echo ".assembling"
   $(AS) $(AFLAGS) crt.s > crt.lst

main.o: main.c