Re: Full 1.7 Install -> "Insufficient disk space to repair security descriptor at index $SII for file 9"Re:

Stephen M. Kneton wrote:

> [ ... ] MediaCenter system ntfs partition had been resized with gparted
> [ ... ] The re-preinstall honored the existing partitions. The XP Pro ntfs
> partition had been copied to a larger disk but not resized and the extra
> space used for a linux install. The re-preinstall honored the existing
> partitions.

  Well, /either/ it honored the existing partitions, _or_ it silently failed
in some subtle way that produced no immediately visible effect.

> It's pretty clear that the damage is done by chkdsk due to a bug in XP.

  I tend to think so, but surely the one test you haven't yet tried is seeing
if you can reproduce this effect without tampering with the partitions at all?
 (Do you have another similar system where the HD still has its original
partition table, or did you keep a backup of the original somewhere?)

> I don't know if I'm the only one reporting this because the partitions were
> either resized or moved (sort of like the problems Vista has with resized
> ntfs) or because of the re-preinstall using Acronis TruImage or something
> similar, or

  I think these are the most likely causes.  NTFS preallocates fixed size
areas for various internal structures like file tables and security
descriptors and if you mess around with partitions, maybe one ends up with way
too little space in one of these preallocated areas?

> So, if some brave soul(s) wants to prove that it's just me and my
> systems

  I have to ask, what's in it for me (or anyone else) that would make us want
to do that?

> here is the procedure to run through.

> 9. Repeat step 2 to run chkdsk again and see if your system is still usable
> afterward.  If you get an error about security descriptors it's probably
> toast.

  Ah, that's what's in it for me.  A toasted system.  Nice.

> 10. Post your results

  With what? :-)

  Seriously, that has to be one of the least invitingly-expressed offers I've
ever seen on this list!

    cheers,
      DaveK