Re: How to install-libLTLIBRARIES dll to bin?

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 09/08/2009 08:48, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Your patch does basically what Dave's horrible hack did, except his also
>> works if you're installing somewhere other than under THE libdir. His
>> patch "walks" up the directory tree from the .la file location, until it
>> finds a great-uncle ../../../bin directory.
>
> I considered such an approach, but what happens if you a prefix that
> doesn't yet exist on the system?  AFAICS you would have the library in
> $my_new_prefix/lib and the DLL in /bin, which doesn't seem quite right.

  Yep, that's exactly what happened in the libtool testsuite when I tried my
patch there, and is why I decided the whole technique wasn't suitable for upstream.

> * libffi-3.0: usually under $prefix/lib, but I move the library under
> $prefix/lib/libffi/lib so that it's not grabbed accidentally instead of
> gcc's libffi (just like the headers are by default under
> $prefix/lib/libffi/include).

  Ah, you won't have seen the recent thread.  GCC and libffi are now synced
upstream.  The version numbering is a red-herring; there were only ever minor
discrepancies between the two, it's not meant to be an API bump.  Hm, I'm not
sure how (or even if for that matter) it ended up getting resolved, will have to
check, but the upshot of it all is that we should be able to get away with just
shipping one version between us.

    cheers,
      DaveK