Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-59

Paul McFerrin wrote:
> I'm not making a feature request but rather some future discussion ideas.
>
> We all seem to remember sub-version numbers like:
>    1.7.0.-44
> There is some benefits in using a consistant numbering scheme.  When I
> use the uname command, I don't care what date my dll was created.  I
> would like for uname to use the same format as we all talk about.  Would
> it be possible to get uname to report the full version with
> sub-version?  No more dates...  Without this feature, Im' going thru
> convuolutions to extract the full version and sub versions.
>
> I like to be able to quickly view this information in the Windows
> banner/title area when running multiple instatnces of the OS.

$ cygcheck -cd cygwin

will give what you want *PROVIDED* cygcheck itself is working *AND* that
you have not replaced the cygwin DLL with a snapshot version.

Corinna is trying to give a foolproof way of determining EXACTLY the
version of the *dll* that you have installed, even if almost everything
is broken, right down to the exact time she compiled it on her system.
You can't get much more exact than that.

You can do this in a cmd box, without bash:

> cd C:\cygwin-1.7\bin\
> uname -a

and it really only involves a single system call to the cygwin DLL's
uname() function, plus some stdio. (Okay, there's some libintl stuff
going on too, but if you don't set LC_*, then that's mostly inactive).
So it'll work even if, for whatever reason, your cygwin is almost
totally borked.

--
Chuck