Re: Changing HOME for PERL

Dexter_Michael@emc.com wrote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. Apparently yesterday when I entered the path /usr/bin/perl somewhere, Cygwin decided to create a perl directory and automatically put profile files into the directory it created.

.bash_history
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.inputrc
Well remember, you started out trying to make Perl your home. That was a foolish thing to try. I don't know why you thought that was something you wanted to do. You actually set your home directory to /usr/bin/perl and Cygwin dutifully said, when starting up bash, "The user's home directory is <X>. Hmmm... that directory doesn't exist! I'll be nice and create one. Oh and let's put in there some skeleton like start up scripts...".
I moved the "perl" directory out of /usr/bin and the SheBang /usr/bin/perl began working.
Great, now do "rm -rf <dir>" where <dir> is the path to where you moved that Perl directory to. You don't need that any more. That was a mistake.
As for my path statement I will be trimming that down right next.

If I emailed anyone directly using this forum that was not my intention. I always meant to hit -reply-to-all- so sorry if you got mail directly from me by mistake.
I don't think reply-to-all is what you wanted to use. I'm not sure however as I don't use a mailing list rather I use a news server (gmane.org) which translates this mailing list into a Usenet style news group, which I prefer.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Always try to be modest. And be damn proud of it!