Re: cygdrive prefix

On 09/17/2009 12:32 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Andrew Schulman
<schulman.andrew@epamail.epa.gov>  wrote:

Personally I like /win/c etc., but sure, I guess you could put

none / cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0

into /etc/fstab and get /c, /d, etc.

There is a huge downside to this. I tried it.  It totally broke all my
projects using CVS, because /cygdrive no longer existed, and all my
CVS projects used /cygdrive/f/CVSROOT as the Root

So try/use at your own risk! I think symbolic links are the way to go.

While I'm not suggesting that people should reassign their "cygdrive" prefix to "/", I think the problem you saw in your case is a result of having set CVS up when your setting was still "cygdrive" and the disconnect you get now that it isn't. So I believe you'd see the same problem no matter what you changed "cygdrive" to. Obviously, as you point out, symbolic links are a good alternative in this case.

Holliston, MA 01746