Re: The C locale

Andy Koppe wrote:
> You've presumably got mintty set to UTF-8, hence mintty's output
> conversion turned ls's ISO-8859-1 "ÃÂ" (i.e. "\xC3\xA4") into "Ã".

There never was any ISO-8859-1 "ÃÂ" in the first place, only one
a-umlaut entered in WindowsExplorer (in the expected way) and correctly
interpreted by a UTF8-capable terminal which is doing his job.

Nobody ever intended to write a Latin1 string with the meaning of
"A-ring + currency symbol" which has been translated by chance in a
a-umlaut...

>> you mean that a script sees it as 62C3A468 as opposed as 62E468?
>> Or that actual "bÃÂh" is shown somewhere?
>
> Both. For the latter, try it in the default Cygwin console, without
> any locale variables set.

OK, if you consider "what is shown in cmd.exe" as "the real stuff" then
I agree with you.

But cmd.exe isn't even capable of printing the Euro sign (no cygwin
involved, I mean the plain Windows Prompt), I guess there's no hope to
ever seeing in there anything but a very limited output...
(which surprises me a bit: Euro sign is present in CP1252)

I agree with you that the "default console" installed by the default
installation SHOULD be able to show the more common accents at the very
least (ÃÃÃÃÃà in Italy, umaluts and à in Germany and so on,), but
wouldn't it be possible to offer the user *something better* than plain
limited cmd.exe, in the default installation?

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

âThere is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.â (Ken
Olson, founder of DEC, 1977)