Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:10:48 AM
Subject: Re: sftp on a Windows 2003 server

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Dave M  wrote:
> *** Warning: The permissions on the directory /var are not correct.
> *** Warning: They must match the regexp d..x..x..[xt]
> *** ERROR: Problem with /var directory. Exiting.
>
> Test@S-EXSYSLOG01 ~
> $ ls -l /var

That shows the permissions on the files *inside* of /var, not /var
itself.  Add  the -d option to ls (ls -ld /var) to see the permissions
on /var itself.

But chances are it's like /var/cache, /var/lib, /var/run, and /var/tmp
in your output, which have no "other" access at all, when they need at
least execute.

/var/empty, which you mentioned, already has the right permissions, as
does /var/log.  Very odd.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>

--