Re: Installing 1.7 alongside 1.5 - can it be done safely?

On Sep 29 03:11, Dave Korn wrote:
> David Antliff wrote:
> > Is it a simple matter of installing to a different path (e.g.
> > c:\cygwin1.7), or will the 1.7 install overwrite anything (e.g.
> > environment variables, registry entries) that 1.5 might require?
>
>   It is moderately tricky.
>
>   The standard behaviour of setup.exe is to upgrade your 1.5 installation
> in-place; the side-by-side mode was only intended for beta-testing(*).
>
>   You get precisely one chance and once chance only to make setup-1.7 perform
> a parallel installation for you.  The very first time you ever run it you must
> select a new installation dir, and a new local package cache dir, and
> successfully make it to the end of the installation run *without ever pressing
> back or canceling out and restarting*.

That's a bit too much.  The really important part you must get right in
the first try is to enter the correct Root Directory in the "Choose
Installation Directory" dialog.  Due to the way Setup works, if you
forgot to set the directory and press "Next" it's too late.  In that
case, cancel Setup and restart it.  Usually that should do it, though
I didn't try that for quite a long time...

> (*) - The current plan I think is to withdraw the side-by-side install
> facility when 1.7 leaves beta and 1.5 is officially retired

No, not really.  It doesn't hurt to keep it.

Corinna

Red Hat