Re: R: Cygwin 1.5 vs. 1.7: tail

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your reply.

Marco Atzeri <marco_atzeri@yahoo.it> wrote on 28.10.2009 12:05:09:
> --- Mer 28/10/09, Roland Schwingel  ha scritto:
>
> > Hi...
> >
> > At present I am using cygwin 1.5 mainly, but I have also
> > started to migrate over to 1.7. Everything works quite well,
> > but I encountered a problem with the tail command. Obviously
> > the + syntax does no longer work in 1.7
> >
> > In 1.5 when I call eg.
> > tail +3 /path/to/some/file
> >
> > I get the whole file printed starting with line 3 (the
> > first 2 lines are omitted). With cygwin 1.7 this does no
> > longer work.
> > I get an error:
> > tail: cannot open '+3' for reading: No such file or
> > directory.
> >
> > Is this on purpose or an accident?
>
> the manual says
> tail -N +3 /path/to/some/file
You mean
tail -n +3 /path/to/some/file
If  I do that it will work fine.

I just wonder it this change was on purpose or not, because the other form (without -n) still work on other systems like mac/linux. I do share my scripts across several platforms. And these particular tail line haven't changes for ages here.

Roland