Merits of ClearCase (was: Looking for the 'stdout' of a Windows application)

Eric Blake wrote:

> In my opinion, the MVFS file system is a piece of trash.  It has so many
> corner cases that intentionally _break_ POSIX rules and thus get in the
> way of normal assumptions about how file systems should work

Maybe. The question is: is it worth it?
I believe it is.

Eric Blake wrote:

> That, and for all the 'power' that clearcase supposedly offers, it still
> doesn't offer atomic commits.

There's a lot of crap in what is advertised as the offering.
But there is something revolutionary that hardly nobody noticed,
and which makes the requirement for atomic commits sound like
saying that a Jumbo Jet doesn't even eat carots, like any good horse.

It is trivial to get atomicity of publication in ClearCase (within one vob):
you rename a label type.

Marc