Re: Cygwin 1.7 beta breaks git on Windows shares

On 12/16/2009 11:45 AM, Jacobs, Todd wrote:
> I'm running the 1.7 beta, and am finding that git repositories on
> Windows shares now exhibit permissions problems. For example:

What do you mean by a "Windows share"?  Are you talking about a
directory on your local machine or a network share provided by a remote
system?

>        $ chmod g+w .git
>        chmod: changing permissions of `.git': Permission denied
>
> However:
>
>        $ ls -lad .git
>        drwx------+ 1 todd Domain Users 0 2009-12-16 08:58 .git/
>
> so I should be able to change the permissions. Is it something to do
> with being on a Windows share? If so, why would it stop working because
> of the 1.7 beta? What's changed in terms of how 1.7 handles security
> permissions?
>
> This pretty much breaks all of git:
>
>        $ mkdir testgit; cd testgit; echo foo > foo; git add foo
>        error: unable to set permission to
> '.git/objects/25/7cc5642cb1a054f08cc83f2d943e56fd3ebe99'
>        error: foo: failed to insert into database
>        error: unable to index file foo
>        fatal: adding files failed
>
> but doesn't seem to be a problem with non-git files on the same share:
>
>        $ touch permtest; ls -l permtest; chmod 777 permtest; ls -l
> permtest
>        -rw-r--r--+ 1 todd Domain Users 0 2009-12-16 09:35 permtest
>        -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 todd Domain Users 0 2009-12-16 09:35 permtest*
>
> What can I do to fix this?

Try checking the ACLs on the .git directory using the Windows file
explorer and make sure that you have the Change Permissions right.  If
your user is listed as having Full Control, then you have the right, but
you'll have to use the advanced view for your user's permission entry to
check for certain if you do not have Full Control.

Just as a guess, are you using a Windows-native build of git as well?
I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but it could be a good
data point to consider.

-Jeremy