Re: Best way to backup 1.5 to go to 1.7

On 1/21/2010 4:55 PM, Brian Keener wrote:
> I want to upgrade to 1.7 but would like to get a backup of the full 1.5
> install before hand.  I know in the past just doing copies some files
> didn't or couldn't get copied.  Also in the unix world seems as though
> I recall tar and cpio have difference in terms of what they will and
> won't backup.
>
> What the best way to get a good copy of my 1.5 in case I need/want to
> get it back.
>
> Or should I just clean install 1.7 to a new directory and keep both
> around.  Bringing files over from old to new could get bothersome - I
> don't remember what all I have set up or changed in config files.

I would copy my Cygwin installation directory to a backup and then
upgrading in place to 1.7.  If something goes wrong, you should be able
to clobber the installation directory and recreate it from the backup copy.

The only time you should have problems is when you try to replace files
which are in use.  Just make sure to stop all your Cygwin processes
before messing around with the installation directory.

-Jeremy