Re: Python does not support default locale

Jurgen Defurne wrote:
> This morning I started python from a new installation 1.7 installation
> and I got the following warning.

Python seems to be ok with C.UTF-8 here:

$ python
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Dec  2 2008, 09:26:14)
[GCC 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)] on cygwin
>>> import locale
>>> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,"")
'C.UTF-8'
>>> locale.getlocale()
('C', 'UTF8')

> bzr: warning: unsupported locale setting
> Âbzr could not set the application locale.
> ÂAlthough this should be no problem for bzr itself,
> Âit might cause problems with some plugins.
> ÂTo investigate the issue, look at the output
> Âof the locale(1p) tool available on POSIX systems.
> bzr: warning: unsupported locale setting
> ÂCould not determine what text encoding to use.
> ÂThis error usually means your Python interpreter
> Âdoesn't support the locale set by $LANG (C.UTF-8)
> ÂContinuing with ascii encoding.

If you're just starting python, how come you're getting messages from
'bzr'? Please describe the actual steps that produced those warnings.

Also, is bzr connecting to a remote machine? I don't get those
warnings if I just do 'bzr init' locally.

> Setting LC_ALL to C.ISO-8859-1 removed the warning.

Right, so it doesn't seem to be the "C." bit that's causing the issue.
What happens if you set LC_ALL to en_US.UTF-8 instead?

Andy