Re: Wrong setup.exe on http://www.cygwin.com/

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 11:21:56AM +0000, G.W. Haywood wrote:
>Hello yet again,
>
>On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >This could work too:
>> >
>> >http://www.cygwin.com/setup-1.7.1-1.exe
>>
>> No.  It couldn't.  The first time setup-1.7.1-1 was updated you'd see
>> this same critical problem.  The situation here is that I have been
>> updating setup.exe to fix bugs and people are amazed and confounded by
>> the behavior of their proxy caches which don't retrieve the new version.
>
>I know what the situation is, and I've been suggesting a way of
>improving it.
>
>> Changing the name doesn't help that in any way.
>
>[Sigh.]
>
>Yes it does, if you change it every time you update it.

Your suggestion was unclear.

So you're saying that we should change the setup available on the
website to 1.7.1-1, 1.7.1-2, etc.  and possibly when a new Cygwin is
released: 1.7.2-1.  Sounds like a lot of extra work to fix a "problem"
affecting a handful of people; especially when the majority of users
apparently have no problem just downloading the latest version.  It
sounds like this major change in behavior would trade a minor amount of
proxy cache confusion for a major amount "What happened to setup.exe?"
confusion.

Perhaps more importantly, with the possible exception of updating the
web site to allow hints that setup.exe shouldn't be cached, I don't
believe that there is a problem here which requires a change.  So there
is not going to be a change in the name of setup.exe.

cgf