RE: Perl module installing issue

After installing package gcc4-g++ everything is OK.
-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf
Of Gary
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:17 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Perl module installing issue

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:13:50AM +0200, Ivaylo Terziyski wrote:

> Installing perl module with perl -MCPAN -e "shell":
>

>   CPAN.pm: Going to build R/RG/RGIERSIG/IO-Tty-1.08.tar.gz
>
> Now let's see what we can find out about your system
> (logfiles of failing tests are available in the conf/ dir)...
>
> ERROR: cannot run the configured compiler 'gcc'
> (see conf/compilerok.log). Suggestions:
> 1) The complier 'gcc' is not in your PATH. Add it
>    to the PATH and try again. OR
> 2) The compiler isn't installed on your system. Install it. OR
> 3) You only have a different compiler installed (e.g. 'gcc').
>    Either fix the compiler config in the perl Config.pm
>    or install a perl that was built with the right compiler
>    (you could build perl yourself with the available compiler).
>
> Note: this is a system-administration issue, please ask your local
> admin for help. Thank you.
>
> In file conf/compilerok.log I have only this
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-fstack-protector"
> I have installed gcc,gcc-g++ and make.
>
> Any suggestions ?

Have you tried running gcc from the command line? Have a look at the
thread started at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-01/msg01228.html
maybe your case is related. What does
cygcheck `which gcc`
reveal, if anything? It should be something like
$ cygcheck `which gcc`
 -> C:\cygwin\etc\alternatives\gcc
 -> C:\cygwin\bin\gcc-4.exe
C:\cygwin\bin\gcc-4.exe
  C:\cygwin\bin\cyggcc_s-1.dll
(and more dlls)
I think.

I'm surprised about the error in the compilerok.log, -fstack-protector
was introduced as a patch sometime during the lifetime of gcc 3 (whether
it was ever introduced into the official Cygwin package I don't know,
however) and then in the main build in gcc 4. Maybe you have an old
version of gcc/cc1?