Re: Network install of Cygwin?

On 3/10/2010 10:09 AM, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
Tim Visher sent the following at Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:25 AM
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:14 PM, John Sambrook
<PCYMTNQREAIYR>  wrote:
Is it possible to do a network install of the Cygwin distribution, so
that a copy doesn't have to reside on every machine where it might be
used?

I'd be very interested in this as well

First: http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

I think that it would work, especially if it is just for you.  Why don't
you just try it and see?

Things to think about:
   - Is this just for you or will many people use it?
   - mount tables.
   - environmental variables.

Overall, Barry is correct. There's no reason you can't do this if you want. That doesn't mean that it's simple or doesn't suffer drawbacks. It's certainly easier to get a proper install on individual machines using 'setup.exe'. And sharing a network "install" means that all operations will be slowed down by the extra network overhead, which can be significant with all the path translations Cygwin needs. So you want to ask yourself what the motivation is for doing this and is it the best or only way for you to achieve that goal. But if the question is just "Is it possible?" the answer is yes. If the question is "Will 'setup.exe' allow me to set up the network install and all the "clients" of that install?", the answer is no.

Holliston, MA 01746