From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Larry Hall (Cygwin)
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 11:31 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: missing paths

On 3/12/2010 1:57 PM, Roe, Kevin L. wrote:
> First off, I cannot run cygcheck and give you the results.  My machine is
> completely disconnected from the internet and has no external write
> capability.

I think it goes without saying that this is an impediment to solving this
problem.  But I'll resort to some WAGs for now.

> After installation, I launched the rxvt BASH shell.
>
> The shell came up in the wrong directory (/usr/bin), but upon the âcdâ
> command, went to the appropriate location declared in the /etc/passwd file.
>
> At that point, I tried running a simple command, ssh. The system said
> âbash: ssh: command not foundâ

Presumably you did install the OpenSSH package.  This is, of course, the
only way the above message wouldn't be valid.

> So, I did an echo of $PATH. The result was missing all the cygwin paths
> (/usr, /bin, â), but included windows paths: (if you were wondering about
> the statement at the top, this was typed in manually)
>
> I donât understand why the path is missing, any guidance on how to fix
> the problem would be appreciated.

Possibly a bad install.  Take a look at your setup.log* files and see if
there are any complaints in them.  My guess is that at least some of the
postinstall scripts didn't run.  If that is indeed the case, you can try
rerunnung them with 'setup.exe' by just running it again.  If that doesn't
work, you can go to the '/etc/postinstall' directory and rerun all the
scripts that are there (if there are any without the ".done" suffix, try
running those first).  Also, it's very important that you're installing
the latest packages with the latest 'setup.exe'.  The latter is even
more important than the former.

--
Larry Hall                              http://*www.*rfk.com
Holliston, MA 01746