Re: EXEEXT

On 03/17/2010 12:02 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> For Cygwin, I've been defining:
>
> EXEEXT := .exe
>
> Then, to keep my Makefiles portable:
>
> clean :
> 	$(RM) $(MAIN)$(EXEEXT)
>
> It appears that we don't have do this EXEEXT dance
> anymore, however I've not seen any official word on
> this. Is there official word?

Do you want to be portable to the cross-compilation environment of
compiling for mingw on Linux, and using wine to run the results?  Then
keep it.  While cygwin 1.7 has certainly gotten smarter about implicit
.exe handling, there are other environments where .exe is still
explicitly required, so properly using $(EXEEXT) in makefiles (autoconf
provides a correct setting of this variable, rather than hard-coding it)
can only serve to make your makefiles portable to more systems.