RE: Remotely run GUI shows up incorrectly on Cygwin 1.7.1

> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded a computer running XP Embedded to Cygwin 1.7.1.
> When I ssh from another computer, and run a graphical program (such as

> the calculator included in Win XP), it doesn't display correctly.
>
> If I run the program from a local ssh shell, it does display
correctly.
> Here's a picture which shows both a locally run instance (bottom left)

> and a remotely run instance (top right).
> Anyone have any ideas?  Perhaps a bug in the latest Cygwin?

I had a problem running a fullscreen X session using ssh under cygwin
1.7.  At the time I did a search and found this message to the list:

bandwith (e.g. YouTube) goes over it. I am
> starting my tunnel as
> follows:
>
> ssh -D7070 user@my.host.name.com
>
> This is being run in urxvt on Xorg running under cygwin 1.7 on Windows
XP. The problem can be reliably recreated.
> I start up my tunnel as described. I run firefox configured for SOCKS
proxy at port 7070. If I surf normal text
> based web pages, everything is fine. If I go to a site like youtube,
video hangs about 3 seconds in. At the same
> time, my shell session will hang. If I close the youtube page,
everything returns to normal within about 10
> seconds. If I leave the page up, it will hang indefinitely.
>
> I can do the same thing with a tunnel from PuTTY and everything works
fine. This seems to be limited to cygwin's
> openssh. It also does not seem to be a simple bandwidth issue. I can
use scp to copy files from the same box at
> 2MB/s without issue. It seems to be only data going over the tunnel
that hangs things up.

> I have checked the FAQ and did not see anything similar. I also see
nothing like it in the mailing list archive. I
> am happy to be corrected if I have missed something.
>
> cygcheck is attached
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.

I found that I could only run fullscreen if I set the depth to something
small, but it then looked terrible. I downgraded back to 1.5 and haven't
had any problems. So I'm thinking there might be a bug in ssh. Maybe
this is related?

Robert

As of 26 March 2009 the Department of Natural Resources and Water/Environmental Protection Agency integrated to form the Department of Environment and Resource Management

Think B4U Print
1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere
3 sheets of A4 paper = 1 litre of water