Re: 1.7.2-1: Problems with regtool and cyglsa.

On 3/24/2010 10:37 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> David Rothenberger:
>> I'm having two problems with cygwin-1.7.2-1:
>>  * regtool get returns "Error (2): The system cannot find the file
>>   specified."
>>  * cyglsa appears to break by system
>>
>> I'm using Windows XP SP3. I upgraded to cygwin-1.7.2-1 and then ran
>> cyglsa-config, which failed because of this problem:
>
> Anything to do with this from the announcement?

> NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE
>
> Users of LSA authentication using the cyglsa.dll or cyglsa64.dll files
> *must* replace the old cyglsa DLL with the new one from this package,
> otherwise LSA authentication will fail with the new 1.7.2 Cygwin DLL.
>
> This is unfortunately necessary, but it should be the last time for
> quite some time.

Well, that part of the announcement wasn't specific about how to do
that, but I assumed that one did it by running cyglsa-config, which
copies cyglsa.dll from /usr/bin to /usr/bin/cyglsa. The registry points
to the one in /usr/bin/cyglsa. After running cyglsa-config (and manually
fixing the registry key), the machine really just didn't work correctly.
I did verify that /usr/bin/cyglsa/cyglsa.dll == /usr/bin/cyglsa.dll.

Gold, n.:
        A soft malleable metal relatively scarce in distribution.  It
        is mined deep in the earth by poor men who then give it to rich
        men who immediately bury it back in the earth in great prisons,
        although gold hasn't done anything to them.
                -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"