autoupdate script

Thanks to comments from many on this list I've been working (slowly)
on a autoupdate script for cygwin.

I decided on three separate parts.

1) check setup version
2) check packages to be updated
3) update

My plan was to create a windows batch file that checked if a setup.exe
update was needed and to perform that function.
call a cygwin bash script to check packages and see if an update was
required, and actually run the update with the right command options.

steps 2 and 3 seem to work fine.  but checking the setup version
doesn't seem to be that easy.

a quick check of setup.exe --help does not show a -v option that would
output a version string that I could use in a string compare or other
test.

Seems the only way to check is to have a cygwin bash script wget the
setup from the web and checksum the temp copy and the standard copy to
see if they are the same, if not, replace.

Would it be possible to at a "-v" option to setup to display the
version number for use in scripts?

Is there a better way to check if setup is current prior to update
than what I have.

also setup --help seems to generate some errors on my windows 7 64bit host:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\rance>c:\cygwin\setup --help

C:\Users\rance>Starting cygwin install, version 2.697
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/net-proxy-host) failed 2 No such file or dir
ectory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/net-proxy-port) failed 2 No such file or dir
ectory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/extrakeys) failed 2 No such file or director
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/chooser_window_settings) failed 2 No such fi
le or directory
Current Directory: C:\cygwin

Command Line Options:

<snipped for brevity>

Ending cygwin install
AddAccessAllowedAce(, owner) failed: 1337
AddAccessAllowedAce(, group) failed: 1337
AddAccessAllowedAce(, everyone) failed: 1337
AddAccessAllowedAce(, owner) failed: 1337
AddAccessAllowedAce(, group) failed: 1337
AddAccessAllowedAce(, everyone) failed: 1337

What do these error blocks indicate, and should I worry?

Thanks,

Rance