Re: Using Log4cxx (libapr, libapr-util) full functionality

On 5/5/2010 7:40 AM, jeanherve.queau@free.fr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m working on windows XP with Cygwin, I have download libapr1-devel-1.3.8-1 and libaprutil1-devel-1.3.9-1 for use and compile the logger log4cxx from apache.
> Basic functions (basic logger, appender and configuration) works pretty well, but when I decide to use the method log4cxx::PropertyConfigurator::configureAndWatch("logger.conf",timeout) instead of the simple configure( ), I give a undefined reference at linkage.
> This method starts a thread, which periodically watches the conf file to be able to dynamically take change of configuration.
>
> My first analyze is: the file apr.h define APR_HAS_THREADS to 0 that why the configureAndWatch method is not present in log4cxx.a
>
> I don’t understand why the apr library isn’t compile with APR_HAS_THREADS set to 1?
>
> Is there a solution to recompile the apr lib for using more functionality of log4cxx like configureAndWatch and appender ( socketAppender ).

libapr1 has been compiled without thread support for a long time, from
before I inherited the package.

I tried enabling it the last time I spun a release. It built fine, but
some of the tests failed. Most importantly, building subversion against
it produced an unusable subversion executable. Apparently, the build
process for subversion detects a threaded libapr1 and does some
different things, and these completely break subversion on Cygwin.

Frankly, I don't have the time or the knowledge to debug the threading
in libapr1. You can try to enable it if you want to experiment. As I
recall, it requires a pretty simple patch to configure.in, although I
don't have it anymore.

I'd be happy to take any patches you create to get threading in libapr1
working.

QOTD:
        "Wouldn't it be wonderful if real life supported control-Z?"