Determining if cygwin is installed on a system

Hello,

I have been tasked with generating a script and installing it on all the
machines on our corporate network. For this, I want to use Cygwin.

One of the requirements is that people should be able to install it as
easy as possible. I am thinking about installing cygwin with a .BAT
file.

However, before doing this, I want to determine if there is already a
cygwin installed. In this case, I want to instruct the user to do it on
his own (people who already have cygwin installed are more technically
savvy, and more likely that they would NOT want me to mess with their
system). On the other systems, I would either use setup.exe with
command-line parameters, or just copy the needed files (yes, I know the
latter is not supported.)

Thus, my main concern now is: How can I determine if a version of cygwin
is installed? I could search for cygwin1.dll on the whole system, but
this would need some time. I could look into the path only, but then, I
might miss a cygwin1.dll.

Does anyone have a good idea? I should be able to determine at least
cygwin 1.5 and 1.7.

Thank you for every hint and suggestion.

Best regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/