Re: C program compilation. Needed .dll's for .exe.

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 03:39, Kaylan wrote:
> OS: Windows 7
> cygwin installation: Basic C/C++ compilation,debug,link,make,ect
>

> I have searched all over for answers and have came up with nothing. When i
> compile a C program i now know i need to include some .dll's with the .exe
> in order for it to run on a remote machine. At least thats been the case so
> far. I used the command cygcheck to see what .dll's i need to include with
> my .exe and i get this big list. So my question(s) is, Do i really need to
> include all those .dll's? Is there anyway to make the .exe independent? Are
> there any shortcuts to manually including all those .dll's in a distribution
> folder with the .exe?

Short Answer: No.

Although you can compile statically most of the libs, cygwin1.dll is
not possible to include in the executable. There are technical
reasons, and also licencing reasons. Please see:
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.static-linking

> What about simply including the cygwin setup with my software? Then what
> would need to be installed on the remote machine to simply RUN applications
> compiled with cygwin?

You don't need necessarily to distribute the setup.exe, or build a
cygwin package. You can do as probably you already are doing: "gather"
the needed Dll's (only those specific to Cygwin, of course), join the
.exe, and include the source, (as this is required by the licencing),
and just drop it together in a directory on the client PC's.

> Any help what so ever is greatly appreciated.

Regards,