Re: Fortune and the "fortune startrek" command

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 06:10:14AM -0400, Gregg Levine wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:44 AM, Christopher Faylor
><cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 06:30:43PM -0400, Gregg Levine wrote:
>>>Hello!
>>>Sometimes when I open a terminal window, and Fortune promptly displays
>>>an appropriately witty saying, I then see the quote from Star Trek
>>>surface. That's okay I created a script to do so based on one used by
>>>my Linux system.
>>>
>>>However this time when I invoked one using the bash as a command
>>>window terminal screen for Windows, I saw a qoute from the second
>>>pilot episode, the one said by Sally Kellerman as Liz Denhner a
>>>psychiatrist.
>>>
>>>Reason for this one is that it has her last name spelled wrong. For
>>>example on my Linux system who's running either a 2.6 series kernel it
>>>is spelled as I spelled it, and the same for a system running one from
>>>2.4 series.
>>>
>>>The only time I saw that one surface was one the kernel version was
>>>2.2.18, and the release for Fortune was from the bsd-games-2.1.1
>>>release.
>>>
>>>Who among the group of package builders I should inform regarding this mistake?
>>
>> Lets all say it together: The place to report problems is the cygwin
>> mailing list. ?I don't send private email to anyone when I think I have
>> found a problem. ?I will just use the mailing list. ?See:
>> http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>
>> One more time: The place to report problems is the cygwin mailing list.
>> I don't send private email to anyone when I think I have found a
>> problem. ?I will just use the mailing list. ?See:
>> http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>
>> Ok. ?Now cover your eyes and see if you can say it without reading it.
>>
>> "The place to cygwin problems is the list mail. Sending email to
>> private people is problematic. I should just list the problems to
>> the cygwin email. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocampus";
>>
>> Close enough.
>
>Hello!
>The one thing I would not have done is bother anyone privately! I
>simply wanted to know who to reference in the appropriate e-mail
>indirectly. Naturally the message would have gone directly to this
>list, and only to this list.

The point is - you don't have to know.  The package maintainers read the
cygwin list.  It's part of their "jobs".  You've reported the problem
here.  You don't have to do anything more.

>I have seen enough people have their heads handed back to them for
>writing to someone directly, and it beind done on this list.

You're exaggerating.  Most of the time when maintainers receive private
email they redirect it to this list with a polite request to keep the
discussion public.  There is no "head handing".

cgf