GCC on 64-bit windows

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and I installed Cygwin 1.7 hoping to use the build toolchain from SciTE and Eclipse. My cygwin installation works, and I can run gcc just fine from a cygwin shell. Eclipse works just fine (though the debugger interface sends complaints to console about missing dlls etc at program start, it doesn't seem to cause trouble). However, trying to launch gcc from Windows (cmd.exe, the run dialog, etc) or from SciTE (as the build command) gives one or the other of the following two error messages:

This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Unsupported 16-bit Application
The program or feature "\??\c:\cygwin\bin\g++.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

I've tested most all of the binaries in c:\cygwin\bin and outside of the gcc ones all of them, including the rest of the build toolchain, seem to be launchable from windows. Anyone know why gcc would be different?