Re: git and openssh issue

On 7/22/2010 6:44 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:

Just to clarify things, are you hosting your first clone under Cygwin
(from which you make another clone using Cygwin which fails), or are you
hosting it under a non-Windows system?  It might be good to try this
under the conditions of Cygwin client<->  Cygwin server, Cygwin client
<->  non-Windows server, and non-Windows client<->  Cygwin server.

We are doing cygwin client to a Linux server that hosts git via ssh.
Hopefully, we can localize the problem to just the client or server code
under Cygwin's ssh.  The bisect operation is not a bad idea, but I'm not
sure what revision of the openssh source was last known to work.  Given
that this is still not 100% reproducible even for you (if I understand
you correctly), the bisect tests may not be completely reliable anyway.

It is not that unreproducible... It fails maybe 5 out of 6 tries. If you can get it to work 10 out of 10 times then I would say you don't have the problem.

According to this thread:
http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/Error-when-cloning-gc-ed-repository-td4425832.html
> I downgraded just the openssh package in cygwin from 5.5p1-1 to 5.4p1-1 and the
> problem went away. This was easier than switching to putty/plink.

It seems that openssh 5.4p1-1 worked. So, that would be a good place to start.

BTW, are you using text mode mounts under Cygwin for any of these
repository clones?

No, it is all binary mode mounts under Cygwin.
I'm going to try to make some time this evening to give this a quick test.

Sounds good, thanks!

-Bill